So I now find myself at the half way point …
of the Nagademo 2012 event. Due to lack of time (work) and me being unwell, I haven’t done anywhere as much work as I would have liked on my Whirly Whirly Game Concept. I have decided to re-assess my situation and am now changing the nature of my project.
I really like my concept for Whirly Whirly and feel that I can not give it the time or justice that it deserves so am shelving it for a later date.
The new project is a collaboration with local New Zealand Musicians, Von Thundersvolt. We spoke a few months ago, while sloshed at a party, about creating a retro inspired game to promote their band. They wanted a tribute to Space Invaders, but with lightning bolts!
Official Cover Art from the recently released Von Thundersvolt Demo, available for free on the link below.
Details are still being worked out but in summary:
- A free to play casual game available on a web based browser and also as a stand alone download for Pc & Mac.
- 2D Space Shooter inspired by classic 80’s games such as Space Invaders and Galaga.
- Built with the Unity 3D Engine.
- Playing Character is a simplified representation of the band, Von Thundersvolt, aboard a floating vehicle.
- Enemies are Corporate Tycoons who are trying to suck away the band’s creativity & convert it into cold hard cash.
- Possible “Bosses” for end levels include:
- Event Managers who throw sexy women, booze & drugs at them to distract & destroy them.
- Reporters hitting them with reports of public scandals
- Crappy Boy bands, etc…
- The band defend themselves by destroying the enemy with lightning bolts.
- Game incorporates the band’s music & hopefully, a lot of cheesy humour for the player’s enjoyment.
- more details to come…
I’ve started working on a basic prototype today so will keep you posted on the game’s progress so stay tuned. My apologies for not posting an update sooner.
For more information about the musicians I am collaborating with to create this game…
for a free download of some of their awesome songs:
© 2012 Joanne Pranee McKinlay
© 2012 Von Thundersvolt
This work by Pranee McKinlay is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.