Prototyping Demo: Progress Report – 21st June 2012

If you’ve read any of my earlier posts, you know that I’m trying to make a game in 2 weeks. It’s part of the Nagademo online event. Actually, it was supposed to be a month but I started with a more complex concept, had no spare time and had to scale down and change my plans.

I’ve been a bit unwell for the past couple of weeks. Good old winter! I just wasn’t made for the cold. In saying that, what warmer place could I live, if not New Zealand? Known for it’s stunning landscapes and skiing destinations.

I thought I’d post a small work in progress update which shows the initial prototype development of the “Space Invaders” inspired game. Last night was a friend’s birthday so my glorious hangover is making me feel a wee bit sorry for myself. It’s also not helping my already somewhat limited programming abilities.

As mentioned in my earlier posts, the game aims to be a simple, 8 BIT (ish), retro inspired game to promote New Zealand Band, Von Thundersvolt. It’s a bit of fun creative release for me.

I’ve added a small demo of the prototype I’ve developed using the Unity Engine. It’s a rough demo, so if you are expecting any hollywood style wizardry, you’re probably looking in the wrong place. The background music playing is actually Cut Chemist (my stereo was on), not Von Thundersvolt.

The assets are prototype only and will be replaced and developed. This video is displaying some of the basic functionality that I have already put in place using JavaScript. I can do some basic programming but it’s never been a strong skill of mine. Creating this game alone is an interesting challenge that I have given myself. It’s quite exciting when your code actually works (instead of exploding like a cream pie in your face). I’ve been thinking of trying a Visual Scripting Editor plugin but am unsure whether I’d just end up spending too much time learning it.

Prototype: Development Progress 21st July 2012

I’ve also been thinking a lot about the core game elements. Chatting to the band last night, there was a request for a Mad Max inspired vehicle… so that’s my design aim for the player… but with a more futuristic twist. Originally I was thinking of having the band members on top of a floating vehicle. However, I think that cutting down the number of animated assets needed is a good thing considering the tight deadline.

It’s an organic process. An exercise in Agile Game Design where my main aim is to keep it simple, keep it fun!

Creative Commons License
This work by Pranee McKinlay is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Advertisements

Day 2 – 5 : – Nagademo Project

So, it looks like my prediction about having no time to really make a game with my current work commitments was spot on! Getting up way to early to go to work and coming home way too late… Hopefully I’ll be able to do a bit more on this on the upcoming weekend.

Due to time restraints, I’ve decided to skip a few design processes and just go a bit “Guerilla Style” in my Game Development. Heavily leaning towards an Agile Design Process so instead of lots of Design Docs & Concept Art, my next step will be Rapid Prototyping in Unity to try to get my core game mechanics to work.

Next update, Day 7 so stay tuned!

Creative Commons License
This work by Pranee McKinlay is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Hello world!

The aim of this blog is to keep all you interested cats informed about the development of any game projects that I am working on.

It is a developer blog so will show a lot of work in progress. It is also my first foray into the world of blogging, something I usually steer clear from.

This is all in the interest of fun for me so, as Jeanette Winterson wrote, “you play you win, you play you lose, it’s the playing that counts”.